Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Spotlight: J. Robert Latham

Although my law practice sometimes takes me throughout Utah, my home and office are located in St. George. Thus, most of my practice occurs in southern Utah. I am one of four attorneys who contract with Washington County to represent indigent parties in the two juvenile courts.
What I love about parental defense work is making a positive difference. It’s evident in the vast majority of cases in which I have participated that my advocacy and counsel yielded a better outcome for the parent than had the parent appeared without an attorney. The taxpayer benefits from resisted and reduced state interventions as well.
In a recent matter, I was directed by the court to appear at an expedited shelter hearing. (I had anticipated a quick hearing that early afternoon, so I delayed having lunch.) Three-and-a-half hours after my appointment to represent the parent, the judge ordered that the newborn child be returned to the parent’s custody, over the objection of both the AAG and GAL. The scenario reminded me of this stanza from a Paul Simon tune:

No, I would not give you false hope
On this strange and mournful day
But the mother and child reunion
Is only a motion away


Practice tip/trick: The Utah Administrative Office of the Courts makes XChange available to parental defenders for searches performed in connection with contracted duties at no charge. Although C.A.R.E. is helpful, XChange hosts probable cause statements and other useful pleadings that can shed light on a client’s or related party’s companion matter(s). Greenfiling also offers a reduced rate to parental defenders for its unlimited e-filing service.

No comments:

Post a Comment